Early main crop with cream skin - sometimes blushed, cream flesh and floury. Prefers a medium to heavy soil.
Matheson and Roberts, The Octogon 1921
Matheson & Roberts is a name long associated with Dunedin gardening. In 1854, John Reid arrived in Dunedin and in 1862, with Captain Sutter, became goldfields storekeepers in Waitahuna. In 1866 John Reid went into partnership with his brother George Forrest Reid & Mr. E Herbert as buyers and forwarding agents. The partnership was dissolved but G F Reid continued to trade and after his death Robert Nimmo took over the business. In 1876 “seeds-men and plant merchants” now called Nimmo and Blair set up shop in High Street. Malcolm Matheson & Arthur Roberts both worked for the company and purchased the retail business in 1919. The Matheson & Roberts company operated in its premises at no. 10 The Octagon.
Martin Pryde, a long time employee of the firm took over the business in 1966. Mr Pryde became well known throughout Dunedin for his extensive plant knowledge. In 1990 the shop was relocated to 10 McBride St., South Dunedin. After the death of Mr Pryde in 1999, the business was taken over by Adam Paterson, also a long time employee and qualified Nurseryman.
Now co-owners of Matheson and Roberts, Adam & Jo-Ann Paterson, operate a small nursery. They grow a good assortment of heritage roses, perennials, culinary herbs, bearded iris rhizomes, lilies, heritage seed potatoes, heritage vegetable plants/seeds, flower seed and cut flowers.